Orange blossom and Cardamom Frosted Donuts with Iranian Figs and Pistachios
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk at room temperature
- 1 tsp orange blossom
- 80g butter, unsalted at room temperature 110g panela sugar
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 tbsp. coconut oil (melted)
- 3 cups Nodo gluten free flour blend
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 60ml Greek style yoghurt
- 185g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cream cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Add the egg, egg yolk and orange blossom water to a small bowl and whisk lightly to combine. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a stand-mixer for 3 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Add the egg mixture slowly and beat until combined. Add the orange juice and orange zest then the milk and coconut oil, beating after each addition.
- Sift the flour, cardamon and baking powder over the bowl and mix very lightly to combine. You must be careful not to overwork the dough or it will become tough and dense.
- You want the mixture to look like the consistency of a thick cake batter. Gluten free flour blends can vary so if it seems a little dry, just add a little more milk.
- Pipe the mixture into a thoroughly greased donut mould and place on a baking tray, this is important if using a silicon based mould. Bake the donuts for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and lightly golden.
- Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes in the tray then place a baking rack over the top of the donut mould and flip over to turn out the donuts to cool completely.
- To ice the donuts, whisk all the frosting ingredients together in a bowl until well combined. Spread the frosting over the donuts. Randomly arrange the baby figs over the frosting and sprinkle over the pistachios and rose petals.